2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 medium beets (about 12 ounces with greens) trimmed, peeled, halved, and sliced into 1/4″ thick half-moons
10 cups lightly packed stemmed beet greens
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden brown (about 4-6 minutes).
- Add the sliced garlic and continue to cook until the onion is very tender and browned, about 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the beets and stir until coated in the oil. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and cook until the beets are almost tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Scatter the greens over the beets and sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the beets and beet greens are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drizzle with the vinegar and the remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Fine Cooking